The Malaysia Baptist Theological Seminary (MBTS) is an evangelical, interdenominational seminary founded in 1954 in Penang, Malaysia to provide quality theological training to Christian leaders committed to serve God in the church and mission field. Since 2001, the seminary has been offering a full-fledged Master of Arts in Holistic Child Development program through modular or part-time studies. MBTS is accredited to the Asia Theological Association and the Malaysian Association of Theological Schools.
- Visit MBTS online
HCD PROGRAM OFFERED
Certificate in Child Studies - This is a foundation level training program designed to equip Christians working with children and young people. The program is based on Celebrating Children, a curriculum developed by Viva with a unique synthesis of biblical and theoretical insights in areas of holistic child development. The program is offered in English and Mandarin languages. It comprises 12 credit hours in class interaction, personal study and a ministry and mission‐focused practicum.
Graduate Diploma in Holistic Child Development (HCD) - This is a unique partnership in Asia between Malaysia Baptist Theological Seminary and Compassion International to provide graduate level training for leaders and practitioners in children at risk ministries. This program will require 2 modules of study, each module consisting of 4 weeks of intensive study.
M.A. in Holistic Child Development (HCD) - This is a unique partnership in Asia between Malaysia Baptist Theological Seminary and Compassion International to provide graduate level training for leaders and practitioners in children at risk ministries. The goal is to equip Christians to become competent and passionate leaders and trainers in holistic child development programs in life and ministries of the Church. The qualities sought of an HCD graduate includes leadership, teamwork, motivation, promotion, and acting as catalyst of change.
- The program curriculum comprises of 40 master-level credits in three (3) Modules offered through a combination of on and off-campus approaches. Eight (8) core courses in Modules 1 and 2 are offered at the Penang campus each June.
- Modules 1 and 2 courses are offered simultaneously with one course per week (5 days). Part of Modules 1 and 2 assignments, the practicum, and spiritual formation are completed “on site” (where the student is located). It takes two (2) years to complete the two Modules.
- Module 3 in part may be completed on campus or “on site.” There are some distance learning materials related to child development which can be credited as electives. Highlight of Module 3 is the “major project.” Assuming that students work diligently throughout the learning process, the whole program can be completed in a minimum of 3 years. Since the bulk of the program is completed off-campus, students must have self-initiative and dedication. Students are given a maximum of 6 years to complete the program.
- HCD501 Child, Church, and Mission (download the Introductory Series here)
- HCD502 Childhoods in Cultural Contexts
- HCD503 Poverty and Marginalization of Children
- HCD504 Child Development and Functioning in Families and Communities (download the Introductory Series here)
- HCD505 Theological Foundations of Holistic Child Development (download the Introductory Series here)
- HCD506 Intervention Strategies for Children at Risk
- HCD507 Self Care of the Caregivers
- HCD508 Children's Agency: Participation and Protection